Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Days 12 and 13: Saying goodbye to Daddy...

So yesterday was Ted's last day with us here in Bogota. Next week, when I have another set of hands (and Auntie Breann, I'm kinda counting down the hours) I will do a big update of what we did this next week. Yesterday was spent just getting me set up for success for this week on my own while we could still divide and conquer.

Nobody slept last night, both because we were afraid our phones "airline mode" wouldnt register the correct wake up time for him, but also because today was the day I have been dreading ever since we got here and settled into things. To be clear, this is NOT about having three kids. After adjusting to having two little boys,(because my second one came home walking, talking, large, and super traumatized) the switch to three isn't actually all that different. The challenge comes in trying to keep them safe in a foreign country when I am currently the only one who can translate the spanish for them and keep them safe on the streets. Also, one of them has some significant food control issues... so you trauma moms out there who can barely get your Ethiopians to simply eat food heathily... well you can take a guess what throwing that kid into another continent with another language and ALL new/different foods AND not to mention a new baby brother may result in. Just ya know.. picture that for a moment.

All that seemingly negative aside, all three boys have handled our first two meals solo with flying colors. Couldn't have gone better. I think some of the previous drama was pointed towards uncertainty about Daddy and wanting his attention. Now that he is gone, and we are back to business with just me they seem to have fallen in line a bit better without the atteniton seeking outbursts. I must say, Ted does a great job its not like he caves and I don't.. they just tend to throw epic dramatic meltdowns when the are uncertain of his comings and goings. This happens at home too. Now that he's gone.. we're back to business. Sam hasn't shown any changes so far today, but he has gone through so much in the past two weeks its hard to tell what is going on in his head.

We survived our first long and major morning outing with me solo today. I always breathe a sigh of relief when we safely cross the last of the more scary intersections. Some of the business intersections don't have ramped curbs anyplace and I HAVE to use a stroller for at least one of the walking children so one is on my back, one is contained in stroller, and the most trustworthy is on foot with my white knuckled hand cutting off the circulation of whatever I am gripping. He is not a fan, but he needs to deal with it. So with no ramped spot, I have to jump a giant 8" curb with a 40lb child in a stroller and every second counts. Oh yes, and there is another 20lb child on my back. Forgot about the new guy :-)

Yes, not checking our double stroller to come down here counts as fail #1 on my part. Working on strategy to remedy this soon.

A few notes from our morning travel:

1. Of course, I got caught in the rain. I figured it would happen sometime.
2. Sam has some resilient skills. Ben took his car, so Sam charged at him all "Braveheart" style and latched on and bit him and wouldn't let go. Ben acted as if he had been brutally mamed. To note, Ben weighs more than 25lbs more than Sam. Ben is a gentle giant. Both had time outs.
3. A little girl named Yolanda took 2 of their cars at the park. All 3 Sibley boys instantly formed a gang with the intent of retrieving said car. Whoever messes with one of my kids apparently takes on all three.
4. Pan Pan Ya has the BEST play place. The one right next to Crepes and Waffles... after I dragged the boys about a mile from the park in the rain we landed there where fresh strawberry juices and a latte for me were had. This place will be a repeat. Possibly daily. It's worth the $5. The boys loved it, and even Sam got in on the action.

Okay so given my new circumstance and how long it takes to upload pictures and that my quiet moments are slim and unpredictable, I will be taking a break from blogging until next week unless a surge of energy comes to me. I'll still check my FB often and status there, as that is much much faster.

I'll let you know if anything epic happens. Until then, I'm striving solely to keep them safe and maintain patience and strength to parent them well on my own, in a foreign country, where I have to speak Spanish completely except with B and L. There really isn't a "down" moment for me mentally right now and I always need to keep one step ahead.

I'd appreciate your prayers. I'm going to go lay down a bit ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Didn't know you speak spanish -- that's great :)

    ReplyDelete