Saturday, May 11, 2013

Day 10: "Ball crawls, central parks, and mosquito drama"

So yesterday afternoon Ted and I decided to try out one of the many kiddo play places that are in many of the fast food restaurants. We aren't really into the fast food part, but we will go in there and buy a coke to use your space to unleash our children's energy if its okay with you.

Yesterday, Lucas, Ben, and Sam were entertained by my modeling of the appropriate way to shoot out a slide into a ball crawl.



The kids decided it was a pretty good idea too, after they finished their ice cream that they earned while we were at court earlier in the day.



Last night Ted and I went to Mi Calle in the Usaquen district. Nothing like eating straight up Mexican in Colombia (which is very not Mexican). My favorite part, was when the Mariachi Band played Beethoven's 9th.. which I got a pretty sweet video of that I won't deal with posting here. After some lovely flautas and music, we walked to "Eight Bells" English pub.. also in Colomia. You wouldn't think you were still in Colombia looking around that place. Ted finally found his favorite Colombian beer, Montserrate Rojo.

This morning, we met up with our friend Marsha Mose, of Minnesota and also from Fana, who is here picking up her new 12 yr old daughter Camilla. Camilla graciously put up with my children and we walked around the beautiful central park of Bogota.

Here we are one our way..


While playing soccer and frisbee next to a playground, I found myself swarmed by a group of school children, that I believe where there for a day camp of sorts. It started with a 10 year old girl asking me for the time, and turned into about 20 something kids asking us all sorts of questions. It was really fun!! I can speak better to children than anybody else, so I was feeling all confident after all this fun. I even got lots of hugs goodbye!

We chatted about:

1. How cool it was that Lucas and Sam were from Bogota and they get to go to "Los Estados Unidos"
2. That Ben was born in "real Africa". They had never met a kid actually born in Africa. It was equally confusing that he was an African that only knew English.
3. About every cat and every dog I have ever had.
4. My favorite color.
5. My favorite foods
6. How old we all are
7. Then I met all of their Moms that were present
8. Got to answer the question why I'm not pregnant like everybody else...
9. One of the girls shared that she was adopted in Bogota too, and she things I'm a great lady and that adoption is muy bueno for kids that don't have Moms.

Here are my new friends!



After all that, we discovered a lovely "playa" (beach) area!! No lake right up against it, the boys had a great time. Camilla even posed for a picture with her fellow Fana frind Lucas.





On the way home, Sam crashed hard in the car and we weren't able to get him to wake up well at all.. (even slept through yet another motorcycle accident) so he was enjoying a great party time during what should have been in nap. After 20 minutes of him cheering loudly for himself, Sam and I left for a long brisk walk while Lucas and Ben enjoyed a rest. Sam and I had a lovely time walking our neighborhood of Bogota. He has become very comfortable in the back and front of the Ergo carrier (which is a good thing, as that is a Sibley requirement for my survival). We walked, we giggled, and we even bought more cheapo toys for everybody to use in the backyard at El Refugio.

We have settled into a much easier rhythm here, now that the boys know more what to expect. After nights of screaming, we have made peace with taking a bath within a shower stall (previously terrifying apparently). We also have a system for making sure people try to eat food, and by people, I mostly mean Ben but occasionally Lucas flips out for no clear reason either. Breakfast is going well, but they really struggle with anything that is not exactly how Mom makes it, even if it is something I actually do make at home! I can live with them skipping meals, it's the ridiculous dramatic event in front of 20 people that really gets old.. especially when I have a new little boy in his high chair that just wants to eat and needs my attention to do it.

Please consider praying for me next week when I am alone in those scenarios. I don't have the manpower to deal with peoples discipline or emotional issues while I need to parent the new guy. There is a solid possibility that I will need to spoon feed all three boys... which I would completely disagree with were I not a student of the Empowered to Connect folks.. which reminds me that Lucas and Ben are having their world shaken and are testing if I am still trustworthy.. it's a classic "will you still feed me?" response that I need to aknowledge.. but they will have to wait, or figure it out. Sam needs to be first right now, but I WILL get to you.. hold you.. feed you.. and bathe you. Eventually.. because you are big strong boys and you have had a Mommy for awhile and he hasn't yet.

Anyway, tonight we tried out the indoor play zone at "Presto" which was even better than the ice cream place of yesterday. I have found my new afternoon pastime after Ted leaves it seems!

We had some of our plans for tomorrow change, as their seems to be some car drama. We may end up hanging out over here for Cyclovia and church afterall, and maybe that is what our family needs to be doing with Daddys time here quickly coming to a close.

I'll be dedicated my normal Mother's Day treats to the Birth Mother's of our family, but Happy Mother's Day to you all tomorrow just the same!







No comments:

Post a Comment