Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 11: "Cyclovia, giant slides, Mother's Day, epic nap"

It was a rather unconventional Mother's Day for me. I woke up with a pretty raging head cold, which I am told is due to the amount of pollution and fumes I have been out inhaling, especially on our longer taxi trips. I remember something similar happening when I was in Ethiopia.. but I don't remember this happening to me the last time I was here.. although it could have.

Ted had a similar issue last week, so we were able to get some drugs that we still had on hand so I was popping pills this morning. This resulted in me carrying about a lot of toilet paper wads throughout the day.

We all got bitten pretty good the other night by mosquitoes and nobody remembers it. What does remember it, is Ben's face. Ben is my "sensory deprived" child. Everything is picked at or in the mouth or smelled... like everything. So when he gets bites he doesn't leave them alone. This has resulted in 9 nasty owies on his face, and that's JUST his face.

Also, I have a bone to pick with "flesh" colored bandaids. Exactly whose flesh are we talking about? Because "flesh" colored bandaids on Ben are like a neon sign that says "I should just bubble wrap my entire body when I get up in the morning". He had 3 big light tan bandaids on his face earlier today to keep from bleeding on people or picking at his stuff. We are now down to one. Quit picking your face Ben.

Mother's Day here at El Refugio started out with our regular breakfast, as well as a nice seranade from a pair of Colombian identical twin girls. Here s a group shot from this morning..



We are currently sharing our space with two families from Italy, each adopting 2 older girls. A family from France arrived last night and have a 5 year old boy, but they are just in town visiting. Lucas is having a good time playing with him so far. A Portuguese woman is here getting 2.5 yr old Chloe as well as her sister who is staying with her. I think they are looking forward to going home soon. The Italians are quite spirited. Very very sweet.. but very spirited and affectionate! Sometimes I need to take the boys to the room so they don't get a little too wild. There seems to be no volume button with that group.

We learned last week that Lucas and Ben are not quite ready for full on Spanish church sunday school, so this week we decided we would need to divide and conquer. Before church, however, we had to go enjoy some Cyclovia!!



We sent Ted and Sam off to church, and Lucas, Ben, and I went for tour de parks and play places. It was good practice for how I am going to need to handle things come next tuesday. I learned that I really do not want to carry one of the 40 lb children in an Ergo for too long. It will have to be Sam in the Ergo, one of them in a stroller, and one of them walking. The altitude just makes things a little too taxing to carry lots of weight plus pushing weight at the same time and in the sun. Today, I was reminded that unlike all of my children, I am whitey white and it is spring.. so I burned like a mother burner.

Following our adventures at the park, and learning that one of the parks we went to really is a lot further away than I thought, Lucas and Ben and I landed back at the Presto play place that they loved so much yesterday. Here is a good recap of my Mother's Day experience:



Toilet paper wads (for my face).. a little sugar.. a bunch of super hero bags.. my Mom bag loaded with extra underwear, diapers, and shorts of various sizes.. and kids at a play place.

They don't serve lunch on Sundays here, so we were off to yet another indoor play place that comes well recommended. The Jeno's Pizza right near our hotel has a giant play area, complete with big slides that kids ride down on a carpet. We got a pretty sweet video of Lucas being brave, and Ben climbing up to the top only to stand there and yell at stuff. Sam went for the lower grade zone..



After all that pizza and play, everyone was pretty tired and we were back to epic nap.

Lucas and Ben slept normally.. but Sam and I unknowingly participated in a true epic nap.. the kind of nap where you wake up and YOU feel so much better, but you know your kid is not going to be tired enough when they need to be. When Sam and I woke up at 5:30p.. I had that feeling.

This epic nap has resulted in not just a party Sam is having in his crib, but more of a total rave situation. He has had to be removed from the room because Lucas and Ben want nothing to do with his partying. He would like to wrestle and giggle and dance.. and he ain't hiding it. We will see what this turns into in the next hour, hopefully he will get some energy out. Sam has a very different personal routine that Lucas and Ben. Sam talks to himself in his crib and plays with his feet to calm down. Lucas and Ben plug their pie hole with a thumb and rub a blanket or baby.. so what I'm saying is L and B's process is a bit quieter although they result in the same ending. L and B are having a difficult time with Sam's other strategy since we are all in the same room together. So for now, Ted is out participating in Sam's party and I am in here with L and B listening to Brave. "If yee had dee abiliteee to chayenge yer fayette... woojer?" <-- That is my Merida impression in type.

I don't know what we will be doing for Ted's last day here tomorrow.. mostly just trying to get me set up for success for my next week on my own. I forgot to pack my war paint... but I did pack lots of hair ties and stretchy pants and wet wipes. It's time to get in the zone to do this on my own in Spanish. Keep me in your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment