Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Worthy to Shine

In May of 2012 I got a call from my girlfriend Carrody, asking if I would consider being more involved with Worthy to Shine! This was exciting stuff.

The girls of Worthy to Shine had been writing for at least a year and had already brought their dream of this ministry to life in January of 2012 with their first retreat for young women at Deerbrook Covenant Church. At that time, I was still up to my eyeballs in dealing with Ben, as well as some other personal issues at the time. It wouldn't have been a good time yet for me to come on board, as I was still healing from some things in my private life. By May, however, much healing and moving forward had taken place, as well as a lot of growth. When the girls tapped me to be part of this team, I was so excited to share what God brought me through in my 20's!!

I could (and do) write pages and pages of information on Worthy to Shine, but in a nutshell.. we provide 2 day retreats for young women 7th grade through 12th grade in the Kansas City area. We focus on who God says they are. We look at who the culture says they are, and how beauty is defined. No, this is not one of those cheesy church girl retreats. It is well done. It is culturally relevant, and we attack what is going on in the lives of young women with honesty and a bit of charm if I do say so. Our next retreat will be at Abundant Life Baptist Church in Lee Summit in June 2013. Whether or not I will be able to preach at this retreat is yet to be seen, depending on what baby Sam needs of me in Colombia.

One of our logos..



My lovely headshot.. it was WINDY that day.. surprised the hair isn't at a horizontal angle sticking out from my head.



Please visit our website! It's good stuff :-)

www.worthytoshine.org

No comments:

Post a Comment