Saturday, June 1, 2013

Days 30 and 31: "Significant court drama and Jaime Duque park"

So after all of that stuff on Thursday, Friday was just a "park, play place, Breann and I breathe a bit" day.. so since nothing cool happened.. I'll update you on the realities of our court situation.

SO..

I've mentioned before that we are in Court 22, which up until recently was just a normal middle of the road court, neither super slow or fast. Well, our French friends were assigned to this court when they arrived back on 3/10 and have had significant delays across the board. Not all of it was the courts fault, as they lost more than a week for Holy Week (Easter) and also various other holidays when people didn't come to work. The court also asked for an "original" on a document for their daughter that has never been required, and is supposed to stay with ICBF permanently. This is the "Defender of Minors" 2nd judge, for those of you curious. The main judge doesn't seem to be an issue. Even when he got the document that he wanted, he wasn't speedy accepting it or moving it along. They did finally get Sentencia this week, but the same individual won't sign the final copies so they won't get it into their hands until next week. They aren't able to move forward with getting back to France until they have the final adoption decrees in hand. Although Chloe, their little girl, IS going home despite all of the hold ups, they will have been here for 3 months by the time this happens.

Now, this doesn't mean that all of this WILL happen to me. Every adoption scenario is different, and Sam IS considered a special needs child. I don't know that this is accurate, but my French friend here believes that this Defendor of Minors is not in favor of international adoption, and that he wants to make things as hard as possible for foreigners to adopt. Since Sam sat in the Colombian system for some time as a special placement child with no Colombians knocking on the door for him, perhaps this individual will have more grace for my case.

In any way, Ted and I have decided to plan on the long haul, so that I can emotionally, physically, (and, EEK, FINANCIALLY??!!) stay strong and positive in this process. Could I pass next week? I certainly could, but I am in a mental space now that I have "changed gears" that I am ready to be here into July. That being said, Lucas is not doing very well. There are behaviors coming out that we have never seen at home, mostly in the form of emotional reactions to very small issues that make us go "is my Lucas even in there? Are you POSSESSED??" Ted and I have basically (although not OFFICIALLY) decided to send Lucas home with my mother on June 13th so he can go back to his home and his Daddy. This will leave me alone here with one 2 kiddos (one on the stroller, one on the back, both good nappers). I'm used to parenting 2 kiddos solo all of the time and I've been here long enough I can work it out. I will fly my Mom back here when I DO get Sentencia, and she will come home with me. Now, if things start moving along like Sentencia could happen in the next two weeks, we will probably keep everybody here.

Please keep us in your prayers, as nobody has $4,000 extra liquid cash lying around per month, which is what it costs me to be here. You may also remember that this is our 3rd international adoption in 5 years, added to our 9 years of medical school tuition that we pay on. We are blessed, but we have also focused on our debt and Sam came along a bit "earlier" than anticipated. All will be well :-) I have decided. He is worth every penny and every day of being here, and I'd still do it all over again.

I leave thee with pictures of us at the park.. and then pictures today from our time at Jaime Duque Park!!






and lastly, a few laughs. I had shoved our stuffed Ironman, Thor, and Captain America in the window grid, that the maids had a little fun when we were out. The Sibley room is very well guarded.

1 comment:

  1. i want to go to this park!! the Dinosaur mouth is awesome

    ReplyDelete