Saturday, December 11, 2010

Court Trip for Baby- Post #3 Frankfurt to Addis

Our flight to Houston was just too easy.. and our layover in Houston was easy as well. .. and then there was the 10 hour flight to Frankfurt. We prepared well, got a good book going, and took our nausea drugs. Not having a clock to refer to and changing time zones all the time makes it hard to know how long you have been on a flight. Somewhere around hour 5 or 6 of no moving.. sweatiness.. drug induced coma.. I kinda lost it. Ted looked amazing. Turns out 5 years of odd sleeping has conditioned his body to travel to the other side of the world rather well. I almost broke down and cried because I wanted out of that seat so bad and there was another 5 hours to go. I must have dozed for a few hours, because when I woke up permanently the beautiful sun was shining in, a tall blonde Dutch man was giving me some AMAZING coffee.. and it was a new day.. sort of. I just didn’t know exactly what day or where I was.

When we arrived in Frankfurt we noticed that there were a lot of good looking people. We purchased a newspaper for Ted’s Grandmother who is very German. We found our gate that was sort of in the basement of the airport and rather unwelcoming. I changed shirts and checked in with Randy so all would know how far we had gone.

Then we hopped on a bus that was about ¾ Ethiopian folks and they taxi’d us way out into the middle of nowhere and we walked up some very cold steps to the plane.

As a side note, if you didn’t tell us we were flying into Frankfurt, I would have assumed we were flying into Minneapolis. It was about 15 degrees with blowing snow. NOT COOL. So we held our breath and got up into this giant airplane bound for Africa. Something about this flight felt so much better… it was probably the drugs. This flight was 6 hours long but really only felt like 2.5 because I think we both slept on and off.

I would like to give a big Thank you to my step-sister Laurie for showing me how to drug myself up. I would also like to thank our big red fuzzy blanket (that I pulled completely over my head in the plane) and a super dorky black eye mask that kept all the light out for me :-)

And then we arrived in Addis, the where our son was just a few miles away!

No photos were taken during this time, because trust us, you didn't want to see that and you can't take pictures at the Addis airport unless you want your camera confiscated, which I did NOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment