Saturday, December 11, 2010

Court Trip for Baby- Post #1

I don't have any amazing photos of this portion of our travels.. I got a bit scatterbrained on Tuesday, Nov 30th when I packed Lucas up and drove to Bethany, MO to a McDonalds for lunch with Grandma and the hand off. Lucas was very excited to see Grandma and Papa, so this hand off was just fine with him. He loves to visit and play at her house, she honors his schedule, and it's always more fun to ride in anybody's car that is not his mama's. Cause that's just boring.

We had lunch with Grandma, handed over his stuff, had some kisses, and then I was back in the car listening to Christmas music and driving back toward Kansas City to pack!

Ted was on call for work- the type of on call that means he only has to go in if a colleague has an emergency. Hence why he couldn't leave Kansas City for the hand off.

I came home, we paid all our bills for December, we strategized to ensure that all would get done by Thursday morning, and then we went out on a date! A date that did not involve a babysitter!!

We went to On the Border (courtesy of Bday gift cards) and to see Megamind in 3D.



Check out them nerds! We were also still trying to figure out the new camera..

On Wednesday, it was operation "pack Ted" because he had to work Wednesday night. He left about 1:30p. It was at this time that I got online to check things out, and got the message from our agency that there was a problem with an updated agency license for the smaller orphanage in Durame that they partner with. Basically saying that orphanage relicensing was routine just like it is here. That the government had already performed the visit and audit etc a few months back. However, Ethiopia had decided to additionally audit all orphanages in the southern region and it was slowing down the actual getting of the new license for that orphanage. No license for that orphanage means a missing piece of paper in our file, which means no "passing" court. We still go to court, we still do our piece of the puzzle, but we are not the final piece. Our agency was not able to guarantee how long this would take and no referrals, court dates, or adoption decrees could be issued for these children until the new license was confirmed.

My heart HURT. This meant I had to get on a plane and leave him there not knowing when our adoption decree would be issued.. and if we want to go to a really crazy place... do we dare consider what if something goes wrong and it is NOT re-issued?! Will I lose my son? Will we become a horror story of international adoption?

I sat on my bed. I prayed. A lot. For at least an hour. I listened. I prayed some more. It's not just about "fixing" the problem. Sometimes I'm not sure I want God to just "fix" all my problems. If he fixed every problem I ever had I wouldn't have learned all the things I have in this life. I certainly wouldn't have adopted my children. I would have fought the fertility battle until I got my biological babies that look like Ted and me and God would have "fixed" the consequences of cancer. Does God give us those miracles? Yes he does.. but sometimes the miracle is not the answer. The point was, I needed peace to move forward in obedience no matter what the outcome was. I was granted the peace.

I packed. I only called my mother. I hadn't planned to go public, but after I saw the adoption yahoo board explode with mother's just like me that were crying all over the United States.. I figured why not. The ladies of my church and my family WILL pray for me. Not just say the will and go about their days. So I put it out there and sent an email to folks from church and family. My poor husband had to get this news before he went on shift, but at least not at 2am after he was excited to leave his last shift. I confess, I drank a lot of wine so I could sleep.

I woke up when he came home at 2am and we had a good talk. Ted didn't feel that all was lost. Sometimes I feel like I go through a lot of emotional roller coasters while he is gone because I get all the news both good and bad and then have to prep it for him. It's nice when I don't have to emotionally support us both.

We were up nice and early, re-verified all our packing, and we were in the car and bound for our friend Cheryl's from church who would watch the Mazda and take us to the airport.

Got to Kansas City airport nice and early and all checked in.



Here is a happy lady at lunch... and a guy that needs to get off his phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment