Thursday, May 21, 2015

Court Day!! ... and some paperwork drama.. and some Trent snuggles

So we were up early again to get ourselves presentable and back to Ethiopian court!



Court is at a new building verses 4 years ago so that was a change. This time it was full of Europeans and we were the only Americans. We were also last this time instead of first. We were also a lot more relaxed this time around. What are you going to do? Deny us now? Doubtful. Last time we had a female judge. This time we had Ethiopian "Usher" (he looked like a hip hop dancer). He seemed pleased that we already had an Ethiopian son and that all our children are adopted (because that slashes all the bio kid questions and can we handle race etc). He then asked "Do you love him?". That was an easy yes. He didn't ask me if I was "ready" lol. Joking aside though, now that he is ours, the anxiety is different. I no longer have to ask if I "can" do this, because "this" has already happened. He is a Sibley now, that is that. Visiting him later in the day was that much sweeter, because now I know something he doesn't yet.

So that was it. We were done. I double checked with our lawyer and director that we really DID pass. The judge spoke quickly and it was hard to understand questions not directed right to me. Everybody is planning on a court decree on Monday, perhaps Tuesday.

So being done with that, we came back to Yeka guest house to eat, change, and try really hard not to fall asleep (where I was not successful).

HERE COMES THE PAPERWORK DRAMA.

So I was borderline aggressive today with our agency staff today to make sure that everything paperwork wise was lined up perfectly for Ted's departure tomorrow night. Unlike Colombia, there is a lot more involved from the adoptive parent end for embassy submission here. I was really missing Maria Teresa Perez in Colombia that just does my stuff. Here, I sat down with the staff and went line item by line item because there were some discrepancies between the information I had when I was prepping papers back at home. Specifically two things- one item that didn't say anywhere it needed to be notarized (and the only notary in Ethiopia is at the US Embassy that can only be used by appointment and begging and $50 USD) and the I864w that is only supposed to be done after his passport is issued by the petitioner (Ted) and notarized.. which is a conflict.
In the end, we really did have to go to the US Embassy today to beg due to our time crunch. We got the one thing fixed by begging and smiling and begging and thanking loudly. I may have even bowed. I got confirmation directly from the Embassy that my POA from Ted empowers me to do the I864w. It was challenging, as this is not the first time this has been done and I couldn't get clear answers.. and this is a time that clear answers are needed. Ted will be in Colombia after June 10th. If we screw something up, I'm stuck in Ethiopia and he can't fix it until June 20th and then Fed Exing original documents to Ethiopia takes a week at minimum... so that would have been really ridiculous over such time paperwork items.
After me going over every piece 3 times between agency and Embassy, I feel **confident** that I can put Ted on a plane tomorrow and I won't get stuck here.

We only had enough time then for a really quick visit with Trent. We just wanted to get eyes on him one last time for Ted before he doesn't see him for a month. I'm going to be a good little girl and not share face pictures until I get my decree in a few more days, but I am finding this challenging. So once that decree is in hand, your facebook and computer will blow up with forced cuteness from me. Here is where little man has been sleeping for the past two years, in with the babies.



So we snuggled and we hugged and we played. We are seeing some attention seeking "naughty" behaviors, mostly spitting or giving something a toss, because then he gets a reaction. There was less of this today than yesterday. We are really encouraged to watch him problem solve. He knows how things work, where they are, and how to ask for what he wants. One of my favorite moves is to point to which part of his face he wants kisses and to remind me to rub his hair. Back rubs and compressions are happy things. He likes to wave, do kisses, and give high fives. I can tell he is well loved and that they will miss him there, but I can also tell that they are happy that he seems to have parents who aren't freaked by what they are seeing.

We also asked to go into another room to check all of his skin, including his privates. I didn't want any infections or skin issue surprises next week without Dad here to look. He does have a lot of marks all over him and his skin is very dry and cracked. An entire tub of Babycakes will be slathered on this child next week. I'll be treating his skin for buggies and other things all over, but his scalp and privates are in good condition. He was very cooperative with all of this checking and I know I made the correct selection in the diaper department. Here are a few pictures we can sneak from today :-)



Tomorrow we get a break from adoption processing and obsessing and will spend the day driving to Adami Meriam ancient stone churches about two hours away as well as an archeological dig site. We will be back to Addis by the time Ted and another couple leave for their overnight direct flights back to DC.. and then I will be here like the rockstar that I am just waiting to take custody of little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment