Monday, February 1, 2010

Erin goes to Haiti

That's right. I said it. I leave for Haiti on February 25th and will be there through March 2nd.

I will spare the details at this point regarding how I arrived at this decision.. because it's a wordy wordy thought process.

In a nut shell, I could not come to peace with writing a check (although I'm very thankful for anyone else who wrote a check!). I spent a lot of time praying for God to either take away the desire to go, or give me a tangible way that I could help that would give me some peace. My girlfriend Angie posted something that was right up my alley.

I will be going with The Global Orphan Project based out of Kansas City. They already had orphanages in Haiti outside of the capital and are now receiving many of the children coming from the capital that have been released from the hospitals or whose parents are lost.

I will be traveling with a team of 9 from Kansas City and will be working directly with the children during the time of trauma. Lucas will be with his Grandma during this time.

I am thankful to be in a position in life where I will be able to do this. Once the next baby comes home there will be no traveling for me sans-children for many years. It was the right time where I could leave without affecting the adoption and Lucas is at an age where I think he will be okay with Grandma for a few days.

Please pray: for my nerves (cause I'm scared), for my emotional health during and after, for the $1,750 to be raised, and for my safety getting in and out of Port au Prince.

Committing to this trip meant sacrificing some of the money we had set aside to start the adoption. We are trying to be faithful with every $1 that God gives us. We trust that He will provide when and how He wills.

There will be more fundraising details in the future, but for now please note the new "Donate" button at the top of our blog. We are attempting to raise $8-10,000 for Ethiopia from private donors, friends, family, and adoption grants. Please pray that God's will would be clear as far as timing and that we will be at peace regarding whatever He decides.

Since I hear a crying toddler that is my motivation to wrap this up. Thank you everyone for reading up on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment